Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Newburyport, Massachusetts photo dump

Our job this morning: get the ship ready for visitors. That included sweeping and mopping (a.k.a swabbing) the decks, opening the cannon ports, and crawling over under and around various obstacles to turn on the videos music and projectors. Then at the end Dan couldn't find his headlamp (which as you see is on his forehead). Darn! Hanging out with all these twenty-something sailors simultaneously keeps us young, and makes us feel old!

Underway time! First, though, a great lunch, served up here in the galley by our ship's cook.

A misty overnight passage from New Bedford to Newburyport, MA
People on shore clapped and cheered -- and photoed -- as we went through the Cape Cod canal.  The crew of the off watch, for their part, waved back, and were sightseeing and playing in the rigging.

Running ahead of schedule and we have to wait around near to sea buoy for several hours for the tide. What better way to spend the time than a safety drill? The results here were disappointing to everyone. It took us quite a while; our hypothetical man overboard probably succumbed to hypothermia. Guess we need more of these drills.

What a reception we got in Newburyport! The docks were packed! People cheered and whistled, they were crazy-excited to see us.  I wonder if this is what it would have been like in the old days, when the ship arrived after months or more at sea?
When I posted on Facebook that we were in Newburyport, my cousin-by-marriage Sylvia gave me the address of her grandfather's house in town, the source of many nostalgic happy memories for her.  We walked over to check it out and snap this front-door photo.
A beautiful old stone wall on a residential street.
Pedestrian plaza, including one of the largest children's playground I've seen in a "high-rent district." Nice note, what it says about a town that they'd give up the tax income from another shop, to provide an open space for the citizens. We walked around town on our break, including a stroll circling the town square (which, to complete a bad pun, was actually triangular).

Couldn't resist this street sign!
The "red hat ladies" do pirate style!
We were in the newspaper every day.
Turnout was crazy -- we had two or three thousand visitors each day. We had breakfast events, open all day 10-7 as usual, then special evening events. No one had planned on that level of success - we ran out of printed tickets.  We ended up collecting them, counting them, and then running them back to the ticket booth to be reissued to the next day's visitors.  Cool way to save trees.  But the tix themselves were so pretty that we had many many people who wanted to keep them for souvenirs.

Finally underway again for Portland.  We had fair winds for a while and deployed the main sail ... which is so big I couldn't fit it all in one photo!


  1. Looks like quite the adventure! Love the pictures.

  2. The tickets do look cool...what an adventure!!

  3. Wow, I can barely keep our boat clean and running - I can't imagine the scale of keeping such a vessel clean and running! And thousands of visitors a day - that's amazing.