Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Blogging from A to Z: Keys

During April, I'm participating in the Blogging from A to Z challenge -- one alphabet-themed post per day, starting with A is for Aruba Aftermath and ending with Z is for ... I don't know yet what Z is for, I'll figure it out when I get there.


What's on your keyring? (image from here)

Remember the old cocktail party icebreaker game where you'd go through the keys on your keychain one by one and tell everyone what they were for?  If you didn't have the corresponding key on your own keychain, you had to give the speaker a point.  Keys that most people had, ("This is the key to my office," or "front door," or "car"), were not worth many points; keys that only a few people had ("This is the key to my summer cottage on the lake") got more points; and keys that only one person at the party had ("This is the key to the room where the rainbow glitter is kept"), got a lot of points.

We always did pretty well at that game, as few people had keys to a dinghy or dock box.

Now?  Now that we live aboard full time, I can't even play that game.  We don't often lock the boat, and when we do, we use a combination lock. I carry no keys at all.  No house, no car.  It was startling, while we were in Aruba, to have keys again.  Although I was always worried I'd get seawater in the electronic fob for the car and ruin it, having keys made me feel like a grownup again.  Not sure if that was a good thing or not!  Do I miss having a car?  Yes, sometimes.  But I sure don't miss the hassle.

2 comments:

  1. Having a combination lock is a really great idea so you don't have to worry about losing your keys (which for some reason I constantly worry about). Good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other tip I'd offer, for any lock on a boat, is to keep it well oiled. Stinks to have the salt water make it seize up, and that always happens at the least convenient time.

    ReplyDelete