Saturday, April 18, 2015

Blogging from A to Z: O is for Open Ocean, Of Course

During April, I'm participating in the Blogging from A to Z challenge -- one alphabet-themed post per day, starting with A is for Aruba Aftermath and ending with Z is for ... I don't know yet what Z is for, I'll figure it out when I get there.

Our friends James and Ellen, crossing the Gulf Stream with us in 2009

When we moved away from Colorado to start on the path to living aboard a boat, I knew I'd miss the Rocky Mountains, and their changing moods, hourly it seemed, and the seasons.  I've written before about running out of words to describe the many shades of blue, and especially that blue, clear and pure in the Gulf Stream.  My collected pictures show greens and grays as well as blues, oranges of sunrise and sunset, dolphins and sea turtles.  Limited by the camera's inability to take night photos, I have no pictures except in my memories of shooting stars or phosphorescence.  Then again, I also have no pictures of rough seas or lightning storms; generally I was just too busy hanging on in those times to take photos! Do I still miss the mountains?  Absolutely!  But now I realize that if we left here, I'd miss the ocean more.

Motoring on a foggy autumn morning on the ICW

Anticipating a stormy night on the Atlantic off the coast of Delaware

Catching a photo of dolphins accompanying a sailboat in Florida

Quiet sunset in the Caribbean


A single sailboat heading out at dawn

Sunset at sea on my very first offshore overnight passage

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see those beautiful clear, blue waters in the Gulf Stream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, indeed ... it'll rock your world!

    ReplyDelete